Saturday, July 28, 2012

Spam and Taters

I love Spam! There I said it... You may all mock me now, if you please.
As a kid my mom would make fried Spam sandwiches, and anytime there was 'ham salad' guess what the secret ingredient was? Yep! Spam!

When I met my husband I confessed that I am a food snob - It's TRUE! 
For example - I will NEVER eat a generic Pop-Tart!  Toast-Ums are just NOT the same!
He agreed wholeheartedly!
(This is how we knew it must be real love!)

But then we both admitted the truth. Despites the fact that we are both "foodies" we will not ever disrespect or shun the canned goodness that is Spam... It's just too wonderful to scorn!

My husband taught me a new recipe and today I want to share it with you!
SPAM AND TATERS

There are two ways to make this delectable treasure. The pictures below are the "baked potato" version but I'll briefly explain at the end how to modify this for the 'skillet potato' version.

Ingredients:
1 can of Spam
1 Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Onion
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Season Salt to Taste
2 Tbs Butter or Margerine

Dice Spam, bell pepper and onion into cubes. You can go larger or smaller on the cubes, a larger cube is obviously easier and faster, but be consistent so that everything cooks evenly.
Place butter into hot skillet.
Put bell peppers only into skillet. They take the longest to cook so you want to start them first.
When the bell peppers are about halfway cooked add your onions.
Season the vegetables.
Once the Onions are translucent add the Spam and heat for a few more minutes to cook Spam.
Baked Potatoes! For years we wrapped our Baked Potatoes in plastic wrap before placing them in the microwave and then my husband discovered that if you wet the potato thoroughly before putting it in you don't need to wrap it. Just wet it and then nuke it for 3-4 minutes. Re-wet it and then flip it and nuke for 3-4 more minutes.

Top your baked potato with Spam and Veggies and you can add cheese (as I did below) if you want to. My husband also added Cholula Hot Sauce and Sour Cream to his as well! Yum!

Now: If you want skillet potatoes then you will need to dice your potatoes (around the same size as everything else). Put them in the skillet with butter (or cooking oil if you prefer) and saute them until they are tender. Season with salt and pepper. (We also sometimes use season salt and garlic powder as well.)
Once the potatoes are cooked set them aside in a bowl while you cook the veggies and spam as directed above. Once the spam is cooked with the veggies add the potates back in and let them heat back up.

If you want a healthier dish you can use Spam Lite or Turkey Spam (both are pretty tasty). You can also cook everything in olive or canola oil both of which are heart healthy oils.

3 comments:

  1. I love Spam too - But I do this recipe with a package of cubed ham and a can of diced potatoes. I also sub green chiles for bell peppers. I can't believe I never thought to do it with Spam, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use a bell pepper too next time... you will be surprised at the slightly different flavor profile! I'll tell K about the green chilis idea - he may want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool stuff you have got and you keep update all of us. Death Saves Dice

    ReplyDelete