Well as I said Tuesday, Sasha had surgery today to be spayed.
We woke up at what I would call an "un-godly" hour to drop her off at the clinic this morning and she wasn't ready to be picked up until 4:00. So I had a whole day of trying not to think about her or worry ahead of me and needed to keep my hands and mind busy.
I also had scrap corners that I cut out of her dog bed that I made on Tuesday. Waste not, want not, right?
I chose to sew by hand because it takes longer and requires concentration. Since I needed a distraction that would last several hours (and didn't much feel like cleaning house) this fit for me. Usually I'd knock this kind of project out on the sewing machine.
I was also curious if the feeble stitching skills I learned as an 8th grader in Life Management Skills were still rattling around up in my brain. Sure enough, they were!
I sewed four of the eight squares into a bigger square and then did the same with the other four.
I then pinned the two larger squares together pinning right side to right side.
I stitched all the way around the edge except for a 3 or 4 inch gap in one side and then turned this little toy pillow right-side out.
And then stuffed it with some left over fiber-fill from a project I did so long ago I can't remember what I used it for!
I sewed the gap closed and there you have it... a tiny little pillow...
It accomplished its goal - I was distracted from thinking about my girl while I sewed it. I figure I'll let her have it. If she chews it to pieces its no big deal... it was all scraps and leftovers anyway.